Monday, March 4, 2013

Mongozo Pilsner - Gluten-Free Beer is Good!


I was approached by McClelland Premium Imports to sample their Mongozo Pilsner gluten free beer. I agreed to sample it but I have to admit, I wasn’t expecting too much. Then it occurred to me, how do I honestly review the beer and not offend McClelland and Mongozo if it's not good? I’m pleased to report that that this beer is good. That’s right, good. A pilsner isn’t high on my list of go-to beers, nor is anything with gluten-free in the label, but this one they nailed.

The head quickly dissipated upon pouring and has a straw/yellow colour. The beer is crisp, has a clean finish and is lightly carbonated.  This classic German pilsner is slightly sweet and has a light spice aroma.

To all you gluten free by choice or by sore tummies should try this beer. It's sad when gluten stops people from drinking beer and it's great to see some new, flavourfrul beers hit the market. This beer has a lot of flavour and is an enjoyable 5% beer - you really should seek it out. To boot, it’s fair trade and organic. Bonus points for the earth, baby.
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. It really was tasty. It blew me away. I was not expecting much at all as gluten free is not usually exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Mike, it was really good. You wouldn't know it was gluten free.

      Delete
  2. Wow, did they change the recipe in the last year? I had some last summer and I found it to be not very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure if it's a new recipe but I found it flavourful. Best gluten-free beer I've tried thus far.

      Delete