Thursday, August 16, 2012

Women Don't Like Craft Beer? Think Again!

Women are an untapped market in beer sales. That’s the title of the article posted in the Vancouver Metro and other Canadian newspapers this morning. If you haven’t seen it yet, read this ill-informed article based on the opinion of David Rinneard, national manager of agriculture for BMO. The title of the article is all I agree with, Mr. Rinneard.

And so I question you. Where did you get your facts that “women want low calorie, lighter-flavoured beer and beer-based beverages”? Did you speak with anyone at CAMRA? Did you speak with any of their female members?  How about a Google search for Women in Craft Beer? If you had searched, you would find women owning craft breweries, educational information for women wanting to learn more about craft beer, many blogs by women who write about craft beer (including myself), events focused on women and beer and so on. I encourage you to take a look. I’d also be curious to know what other facts you think you know about women. You know, there was a time when men thought giving their wife a vacuum cleaner for her birthday was a great gift. June Cleaver was probably the last woman who didn’t divorce him for it. Ah, but I digress.

I personally do not know a single woman who would drink a Coors Lite Iced Tea or Bud Lite product be it Lime, Mojito, or some other idiotic flavour. I do, however, know men who drink this swill. There are many women who enjoy craft beer (and I do NOT mean your reference to “Chick Beer”) and drink these amazing ales alongside men and women at restaurants, pubs, beer festivals, cask tastings, long table dinners, brewery tours and at home. I know, amazing, hey? I guess we put down our sparkling wine long enough to give them a try.

Perhaps with your position as the manager of agriculture, your “research” was more focused on the hops, barley and wheat quantities required to make beer and how beer producers could sell more (and just maybe, the article was also sponsored by some of the macro breweries in Canada). And by the way, craft beer sales are booming in Canada, USA and many other countries. Do you think this could possibly be because craft beer brewers DO have the female market buying their beers? I would encourage you to actually research the beer market and find out how many women enjoy craft beer. In my opinion, this doesn’t make us less feminine nor do I feel inclined to have a tasteless 97 calorie product, just because I’m a woman.

Shame on you, Mr. Rinneard. If you have a daughter, sister, wife, mother or any female friends, go apologize to them for stereotyping women as you have in this article. And shame on LuAnn LaSalle, the Business Technology Reporter for Canadian Press who didn’t investigate Mr. Rinneard’s opinion to see if there was any merit to support “what women want”.

Excuse me while I go grab a double IPA and ponder what it would taste like Mojito-ized. Eww. Shiver.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... Mojito Bud Lite... Only once you realize it's not really beer can you fully appreciate its lime-ey goodness.

    ReplyDelete